In the beginning, make sure you’ve got the following:
- A Facebook Developer Account.
- An Instagram account with media.
Step 1: Create your Facebook App
You need to go to https://developers.facebook.com/, then click My Apps, and create a new app. You can select the More Options option if you are not sure about your purpose.
After the app is created, click Settings > Basic, scroll to the bottom of page, and click Add Platform.
Then you add website URL and save changes. Keep in mind that the platform can be changed later in case you need.
Step 2: Build Instagram Basic Display
To do it, click the Products button, locate the Instagram Basic Display product, and click Set Up to add it to your app.
Complete every section in the appeared form, using the following guidelines:
- Instagram Display Name: Here you need to enter the name of the Facebook app you’ve just created.
- Valid OAuth Redirect URIs: Add your website URL, save your changes and check the URL again.
- Deauthorize Callback URL: Enter your URL again. Eventually you will have change this to a URL that can handle deauthorization notifications.
- Data Deletion Request Callback URL: Enter your website URL once again. Just like the Deauthorize Callback URL, you will eventually have shift this to a URL that can handle data deletion requests.
- App Review: You can skip this step since you will not be switching the app to Live Mode during the set up.
Now you can proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Add an Instagram test user
Go to Roles > Roles and scroll down to the Instagram Testers section. Then click Add Instagram Testers and enter your Instagram account’s username and send the invitation. After that, you’ll need to open a new browser, go to https://instagram.com and sign into your Instagram account that you just invited. There navigate to Edit Profile > Apps and Websites > Tester Invites and accept the invitation.
Now your Instagram account is eligible to be accessed by your Facebook app while it is in Development Mode.
Step 4: Authenticate the Test User and Generate Token
Go to Products > Instagram Basic Display > Basic Display. You find the User Token Generator section and click the Generate Token button. A popup will display. You log into your Instagram and Authorize. Finally, you copy your token.